Status: Regular, full time, exempt position
Starting Salary: $75,000 - $80,000 DOE, plus competitive benefits
Portland has one of the most astounding and beautiful park systems in the country. In many ways it defines who we are as an outdoor-oriented and health conscious city. A day spent wandering streets and trails uncovers a magical labyrinth of forests, streams, sports fields, and jeweled gardens. In 2011 Portland Parks & Recreation received the Gold Medal as the best park system in the United States by the National Recreation and Parks Association. If you treasure Portland’s parks and natural areas as we do, and believe passionately in giving people who live here the opportunity to support projects that maintain, expand, and enhance our parks system, this position could be for you.
About Portland Parks Foundation
Established by the City Council in 2001, the Portland Parks Foundation raises money for unmet park and recreation needs within the City of Portland. As an independent nonprofit organization focused primarily on fundraising, we use advocacy and public engagement initiatives to support Portland’s park system. The Portland Parks Foundation works closely with Portland Parks & Recreation, along with other partners, to further shared priorities for parks.
With a staff of three, and an annual operating budget of close to $250,000, Portland Parks Foundation has provided more than $10 million over the past 13 years to support a range of parks projects. Working in collaboration with others, the Foundation’s fundraising has helped to create and enhance parks, install climbing walls, and equip parks with access for people with disabilities. The Foundation’s impact extends beyond our role in direct funding; our campaign to raise awareness of Portland’s park system culminated in 2014 with the sweeping voter passage of a $68 million parks bond measure.
The Ideal Candidate
The Portland Parks Foundation seeks a collaborative leader who is passionate about our mission, and prepared to grow the organization. We are looking for someone with proven success and enthusiasm as a fundraiser who is eager to maximize opportunities to support Portland’s park system. This requires an articulate communicator and strategic thinker who excels at setting ambitious goals and working with partners to accomplish them.
In particular we seek:
- Experience, success and enthusiasm in all areas of fund development, from writing grants to securing support from both corporate and individual donors.
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship-building skills to maintain and expand a cadre of loyal financial supporters.
- An authentic and articulate communicator who enjoys public speaking, and is diplomatic and persuasive.
- A person who is committed to equity in the parks community, and excels at working with diverse groups and building partnerships with donors, business, community groups, public agencies and political leaders.
- Experience working with and cultivating a Board of Directors to achieve financial goals.
- Management skills, financial acumen, and the ability to lead and motivate others.
- Experience formulating strategies, plans, and priorities, and accomplishing these.
- Experience working with public agencies is desirable.
To learn more about the Portland Parks Foundation, please visit: www.parklandia.org
Please submit a detailed letter that describes how your skills, previous experience and excitement for the mission of Portland Parks Foundation would position you to be the next Executive Director. Please include the names and contact information of four references and a complete chronological resume to: email@example.com with “Portland Parks” in the title by Friday, July 24th at 5:00 pm, PST.